Candidate nominations and third party advertiser registration opens May 1

MEDIA RELEASE (April 23, 2018) Starting May 1, candidates interested in running in the 2018 municipal or school board elections will be able to file their nomination papers with the clerk of the appropriate municipality.

In addition to the mayor, regional councillor, councillor/alderman or school board trustee positions, the regional chair will now be an elected position; therefore, nomination papers for that position will need to be filed with the Regional Clerk’s Office.

Nomination papers can be picked up at any municipal (or the Regional) Clerk’s Office or downloaded at The following information applies to candidates looking to file nomination papers:

  • Nomination papers can be filed during business hours from May 1 to July 26, 2018, and between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on July 27, 2018.
  • Nomination papers must be signed by the candidate and filed in person or by an agent with the clerk of the appropriate municipality.
  • A filing fee of $200 for the head of council (regional chair or mayor) and $100 for all other offices (regional councillor, councillor/alderman or school board trustee) will be required at the time of filing.
  • Each nomination paper must be endorsed by 25 eligible voters supporting the nomination (excluding school board trustee candidates).
  • A candidate must be registered before he/she spends any money on a campaign or accepts any contributions.
  • In the event there is an insufficient number of certified candidates to fill the positions available in each municipality, nominations will be reopened by the appropriate clerk, for the vacant positions only.

In addition, due to recent changes made to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, the 2018 municipal election will be the first time that third party advertising is regulated.

Third party advertising is any paid advertising that supports or opposes a candidate running in the election. It can be in any format, including paid social media, website advertisements, billboards, signage, TV, newspapers and radio.

Individuals, corporations and trade unions may register as third party advertisers (TPAs) and may also make contributions to TPAs. TPAs must first register with the municipal clerk in each municipality that they plan to advertise in. Registration opens May 1 and closes on October 19, 2018. TPAs must register before they spend any money or accept any contributions. In addition, all third party advertising must be independent and cannot be directed by any candidate.

For more information about becoming a candidate or third party advertising, please visit

About Niagara Votes 2018: Election staff from the Region and all 12 Local Area Municipalities have partnered to streamline communications. This partnership is the first of its kind, designed to ensure candidates and electors across Niagara are aware of key dates and information for the 2018 Municipal and School Board Election.


For more information, contact:
Daryl Barnhart, APR

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.