MEDIA RELEASE (April 10, 2018) In 2017, the Town of Fort Erie acquired $5.7 million in grant funding thanks to the efforts of the Town’s newly developed Grants Oversight Team (GOT). The GOT was formed in 2016 to review new grant funding opportunities from other governments and organizations and to follow-up on active applications.
“We established the team to consolidate efforts and maximize available funding. Funding programs require the coordination of applications, compliance and reporting. The team allows the Town to be better positioned to plan and perform the requirements of each program,” said Jonathan Janzen, Director of Corporate Services.
The following highlights $3.02 million in grants that were approved in 2017:
- $1.7 million from the Federal Clean Water and Wastewater Fund for the replacement of aging water and sanitary sewer infrastructure along sections of Dufferin Street, Murray Street and Battery Street
- $149,056 from the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund for the installation of new bus stops and shelters
- $816,731 from the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund for the Highland Street reconstruction project
- $250,000 from the Ontario Municipal Cycling Infrastructure Program for the construction of 700 metres of asphalt multi-use recreational trail between Bertie Street and Gilmore Road and 2.3 kilometres of on-road cycle infrastructure improvements between Gilmore and Bowen Road
- $82,500 from the Niagara Region Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) program for sewer inspections and flow monitoring
- $22,184 from the Niagara Region Public Space Recycling Program dedicated to recycling bins for the Ridgeway BIA and Bridgeburg BIA
The Town also receives a number of ongoing or formula-based grants that are applied to operating and capital needs such as the Ontario Municipal Partnership Fund, Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund, Provincial Dedicated Gas Tax and Federal Gas Tax, which makes up the balance of the $5.7 million.
For more information, please contact Jonathan Janzen, Director of Corporate Services, at email@example.com or 905-871-1600, ext. 2300.
– 30 –
Contact: Janine Tessmer, Communications Advisor
Phone: 905-871-1600, ext. 2217