MEDIA RELEASE (June 25, 2019) During last Monday’s Town Council meeting, Kramer Design Associates (KDA) presented its proposed Wayfinding program. The program will cost $360,000 from 2019 to 2021.
“The Wayfinding program is an investment in our town, our economy and our future,” said Mayor Redekop. “It will help guide both residents and visitors through our roads, parks and trails while enticing them to experience new adventures along the way. It will also showcase the unique character of our many communities by using custom design.”
Once implemented, the Wayfinding program will…
• Enhance the overall image of Fort Erie as a destination
• Help people identify and connect places
• Encourage people to walk and explore
• Facilitate visitor experience by providing a consistent, intuitive wayfinding network between destinations
• lncrease visitation at key attractions, business centres/BlAs, and parks/trails
• Boost the local economy through awareness
• lmprove the public realm and build a sense of community
Through the public consultation process, the theme “forest and water” emerged as the best representation of Fort Erie according to local stakeholders. Therefore, the final colours selected for the program are black and green. Town staff will be taking a phased approach for the Wayfinding program.
• 2019 – Parks and beaches signage
• 2020 – Directional signage along the roadways
• 2021 – Friendship Trail signage
There is currently $70,000 in the Wayfinding program capital budget leaving about $290,000 to complete the project. Therefore, Town Staff will be budgeting $150,000 for each of the 2020 and 2021 Capital Budgets to cover the additional program costs (unless directed otherwise). All proposed budgets must be approved by Town Council annually.
KDA was retained by the Town in 2018 to undertake a new Wayfinding program. The existing program was approaching 20 years in age.
– 30 –
This is a great idea. I just wish that the project could have been awarded to some deserving town members in Fort Erie rather than to a Toronto based company. I am sure that we have the necessary talented resources here in town. Let’s start developing our own people in future!