FORT ERIE, ON (December 20, 2019) Town Council approved capital works for 2020 and the 2021-2030 forecast. The 2020 Preliminary Capital Budget consists of 35 projects totaling $9.8 million, with 87 per cent dedicated to the replacement or rehabilitation of existing assets.
“Fort Erie, like all municipalities across Ontario, is faced with the challenge of replacing aging infrastructure – roads, water and wastewater lines, bridges, facilities – while also providing funding for new capital projects to meet the needs of a growing community. I’m happy to say that Fort Erie stepped up to the challenge. Aside from a slight water and wastewater infrastructure gap, we’re in amazing shape compared to neighbouring municipalities,” said Mayor Wayne Redekop.
The Capital Budget is primarily driven by the Town’s Asset Management Plan (AMP). The AMP identifies and prioritizes rehabilitation strategies of all assets to minimize long-term risk and cost to the Town and its taxpayers, while maximizing service delivery. Early tendering is also a factor for the Capital Budget process. By financing tender ready projects early in the year, town staff is able to obtain lower tender pricing and secure services during peak construction times. The Capital Budget is approved in two parts:
- “Preliminary” – totals $9.8 million and is funded from the December 2019 Reserve Fund balances allowing the funds to be accessed as soon as the Preliminary Capital Budget & Forecast by-law is passed.
- “General” – totals $8.6 million and requires 2020 General Levy base or incremental funding; therefore, approval is deferred until the 2020 Operating Budget is complete in mid-February.
Some key projects that were approved by Town Council on Dec. 9 include: CN 6218 Caboose repairs, Crystal Ridge Park improvements, the Bridge and Culvert replacement program and the Roads and Resurfacing program.
The Town’s Budget process continues:
- January 20, 2020 – Water & Wastewater and Fees (by-law approval)
- January 22, 2020 – General Levy Operating Budget (presentation and preliminary approval)
- February 10, 2020 – General Levy Operating Budget & General Capital Budget (by-law approval)
For further information and to view 2020 Budget presentations, visit us on the web at www.forterie.ca. All Budget meetings take place at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers and are streamed live on-line.
– 30 –