FORT ERIE (May 3, 2021) Short-term rental operators in Fort Erie can now obtain or renew their short-term rental licence through the Town’s new online application portal.
“To better serve the Fort Erie community, we have moved many of our Town services online. The short-term rentals online application portal is one example of how the Town has continued to adapt throughout this pandemic to meet the needs of residents and businesses,” said Tom Kuchyt, CAO.
On January 1, 2020, the Town of Fort Erie launched a Short-term Rental (e.g. AirBnBs) program to help regulate terms and conditions for short-term rentals operating in Fort Erie. Some program details include:
- Short-term rental owners require an annual licence to operate.
- Operating a rental without a licence will result in a $600 fine, 7-day suspension and 10 demerit points.
- Contact person for rentals must be local and available at all times.
- Enhanced bylaw enforcement from May 1 to September 30 with extended hours.
- Owners must submit a fire safety plan and other required documentation, as well as comply with all building code standards.
To provide additional transparency regarding short-term rental properties in Fort Erie, a list of registered short-term rental properties is available online. For more information, please visit https://shorttermrentals.forterie.ca