Fort Erie experiences successful second quarter for home renovation permits

FORT ERIE(August 20, 2021) Recently, Town staff published information about Fort Erie’s development, building and by-law statistics for the second quarter (Q2) of 2021.

The Q2-2021 was an encouraging quarter with 79 permits issued for new residential with a permit value of $35,724,200. The Q2-2021 is higher in permit value and number of permits issued than the Q2-2020, which consisted of 53 residential permits with a value of $20,584,400, representing an increase by 49 per cent for 2021.

Residential permits issued were highest in the Garrison (24per cent) and Douglastown (23per cent) areas in Fort, with a combined total of 47per cent of the new residential permits issued in Q2-2021. The second quarter of 2021 is characterized as being strong for residential and industrial permits, with residential construction activity is apparent in many parts of Fort Erie.

“Stay-at-home orders caused people to spend more time in their homes than ever before. Many homeowners took advantage of this opportunity by starting home renovation projects,” says Keegan Gennings, Chief Building Official. “Overall, we saw an increase in residential additions, alterations and repairs for Fort Erie homeowners with 55 permits issued in Q2. Swimming pools were also quite popular in Q2 with an additional 31 permits issued.”

In addition, the Q2-2021 received 768 calls for by-law enforcement, 71 of which were directed toward short-term rentals. This was an increase from Q1-2021 which only saw 356 calls. The number and types of new calls for services in the Q2-2021 versus the Q2-2020 increased, showing new calls for waste and debris at 143 from 51, zoning related issues at 43 from 13, noise complaints at 33 from 16 and parking calls at 47 from 0.

For more information, read the Development, Building and By-law Report for Q2-2021.

-30-

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.